RE: Lifts - shipping?

To: "'Wayne Farrington'" <w.farrington@verizon.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Lifts - shipping?
From: Gil Fuqua <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:50:15 -0500
Unloading the lift without a forklift is a real problem.  I was able to have
the truck back up to a neighbor's loading dock and we used his forklift to
drag it out.  We then put car rollers under each end and wheeled it into my
shop.  The forklift could pick up the load from the side but you were
dealing with a package that was about 20' wide.

My lift package was about 20'long, 2.5' wide, 3' high and was too unwieldy
to handle with a simple engine lift.  It also weighs too much.  A gantry
crain would probably work OK if you centered the load.  If you can get the
lift put on your trailer by the trucking company, you can probably unload
the lift in parts.

You would cut the metal strap bands and unload the lift one piece at a time.
Two people can unload the ramps (if a four post lift the heaviest part), but
it would be better to have two more helpers.

I had a pallet jack that I used to hold up the ramps while I bolted them
into place.  That was a lot easier than having helpers hold up the ramps
while you bolted them together and a lot less strain on everyone.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville, TN
4-post lift from PerfectPark