Re: Lifts - shipping?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lifts - shipping?
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:35:50 -0700
>  I can't imagine they would be to thrilled with
>using a forklift to unload a ~20' long package from an enclosed trailer.
>Then snake the thing through their building and out a grade level door to my
>trailer.

It's been thirty years since I was in this line of work but this was routine.
Crated or uncrated goes in and out of enclosed trailers, sometimes balanced
diagonally on one fork.  When productivity was more important than safety,
I have seen amazing things done with forklifts.  A few wrecks too, but the
driver would bail as the whole mess crashed.

And before that I worked in a commercial refrigeration shop with relatively
small
overhead crane.  It wasn't unusual to build something that the crane
couldn't lift.
The old timers moved this stuff with levers and rollers.  I remain
impressed to
this day.  It's the practical application of mind over matter.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA