Re: Lifts - shipping?

To: Wayne Farrington <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Lifts - shipping?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:29:26 -0700
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 09:25:31AM -0700, Wayne Farrington wrote:

> So, the next question I have is about shipping one of these lifts. They of
> course ship by freight truck which presents a problem for my location. I have
> no means to unload something like this and for that matter a freight truck is
> not going to fit down my private road. What I would like to do is pick the
> lift up maybe at the freight terminal? If I can set it on my open car trailer
> I can back into the bay where it will be installed and unload it with some
> sort of engine hoist/block and tackle combo, or slid it off with some sort of
> rollers. Or better yet since my trailer is a tilt bed I may simply be able to
> prep the columns on the trailer and then "tilt" the columns into place right
> off the trailer (along with some muscle from a couple of guys).
>
> I'll call the supplier and see what the options are but I was wondering if any
> of you have experience with this? Is it possible to have it shipped to a
> freight depot and then have the depot unload it from the freight truck and
> onto my car trailer?

I've done this with farm equipment.

Make sure that you and the seller agree on what the shipping
is and what you are paying for it ahead of time.  I bought a PTO
driven chipper through Northern Equipment (formerly Hydraulic)
and they charged me a hefty shipping charge.  Then when they
found out I live on a twisty backroad and wouldn't unload
the 600lb unit myself, they claimed that the shipping they'd charged
me only covered getting it to the freight terminal... which
I'd have been happy with if they'd only charged me for that.
It took a bunch of calls from me and the freight terminal while
the unit sat there on their dock for Northern to ok a $90
run with a lift gate truck up to my house.

Contrast that with a rotary mower I got where the seller
sent it truck freight for 1/3 the price, I drove to the terminal
and they dropped it into my pickup.  I have a raised area I
can use as a loading dock (it's pickup bed height and has a rock
wall).  My wife and I slid the mower off the truck and got it
to where I could pick it up with the tractor.  Shipping cost was
the actual freight cost, about 1/3 what Northern charged (for
a larger, but slightly lighter, implement).

The freight terminal will have a forklift but about all they will
want to do is use it to drop the stuff on your truck.  If loading it
onto your truck requires any more effort than that they will get upset
pretty quickly.

Eric