gas heater vent question

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: gas heater vent question
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:39:54 -0800
I just finished installing a 50k btu Reznor ceiling hung heater in my garage..
the original plan was to run the vent pipe straight up thru the ceiling and
the roof..... but when I drilled the hole to locate the center of the vent
pipe and went up into the attic... guess what ??  the vent pipe centers a roof
rafter.

my question... can I put a couple of  900 elbows in the vent to get around the
roof rafter  or just 450 it out thru the side wall, then 450 it up verticle
above the roof line.  The heater is mounted in a corner and the vent would go
up about a foot then 45 then about 2' till it turns vertical outside the
building... what is the code ??

thanks

john