Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:37:38 -0600
> At 07:27 PM 11/24/2003 +0000, nick brearley wrote:
 >In the past I've used an angle grinder or cutoff saw for cutting bar or
 >angle. The angle grinder may not be pretty but it gets the job done, and
 >you can always dress up your mistakes afterwards!  Nowadays I notice more
 >of the Sawzall type tools appearing (in the UK). These are still fairly
 >foreign tools to us so I was wondering what they are used for on home
 >territory.

   I use the sawzall for everything.  I now have a nice/cheap Ryobi
rechargable set (drill, circular saw, sawzall, flashlight) and I use it for,
well alsmost everything.
   I might drag out the corded circular saw if I need a bigger cut.
I've used the sawzall on wood, metal, bone etc., it just cuts right through.
While I haven't cut anything as big as you are talking, my neighbor just used
the sawzall to part out a couple of old scouts that were in a field too far
from power to use the other neighbors angle grinder.
   I just used the sawzall for a meat/bone saw when cleaning the nice buck
that decided to commit suicide by rearranging the front of our cavalier.
There isn't much you can't cut with them, it may not be the prettiest or the
fastest ways for some materials, but it will cut it.
Once you have one (get the cordless), you will be amazed at how many uses you
find it.
   Oh did I mention cutting down smaller trees/cutting up limbs for kindling?
One night I wanted some more wood, but the chains on the chainsaw were
extremely dull and it was late, so I just grabbed a real coarse wood blade
and went to work.  Took longer than the chainsaw, but was quiet and did get
the job done.  Beat the hell out of digging up the hand saws.

Matt Wehland