RE: Off Topic - Pool Pump Patch

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Off Topic - Pool Pump Patch
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:12:49 -0700
> Today I noticed that my pool pump filter was at 30psi instead of
> the typical
> 15psi.  I have never seen it go up, only down, so I was trying to
> figure out what to do.

Interesting.  How is it that you have a new pool, and no one told you how to
operate and clean the filter ?

That's exactly why there is a pressure gauge on there, because the gauge
tells you when it's time to backwash the filter.  And it does it by going
up, not down, since it's on the inlet side of the filter.

> It's $100 to by a new front housing for my pump if I can find
> it in stock somewhere and figure out how to do it myself.

I must be missing something here ... the entire pump (less motor) shouldn't
cost much more than that.
http://www.pumpwarehouse.com/main.html
(scroll down for pumps without motors)

> Now for my quandary.  Is this something that I can try to fix
> with JB Weld?

I don't see that you've got anything to lose ... but I would load the JB
Weld with fiberglass cloth.  Just JB Weld is not very strong unless it's
making a fairly thin bond between two objects.  But my pool filter is
repaired in several places with JB Weld & fiberglass; it's held up well for
quite a few years now.

Oh, and don't bother with the "5 minute" JB Weld.  Get the stuff that takes
overnight to harden.

Randall