Re: Comperssor questions

To: Wayne Farrington <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Comperssor questions
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:15:01 -0400
Wayne Farrington wrote:
> Not to long ago the comp started squealing on start-up. I found the belt
> was starting to self destruct and shred itself. I just replaced the belt
> with a new one, and it works much better. However, there is still a
> little bit of squeal on start-up. The surfaces of both the motor pulley
> and the compressor pulley look clean and dry. I tried several times to
> get a good bite with the pry bar to set the belt as tight as possible.

   Have you tried spray-on belt dressing?

> Is a little squeal at start-up anything to be concerned with?

   No probably not. The worse that could happen is premature belt wear,
I doubt it could ever add up to pulley damage.

   I suppose the belt breaking while it was cycling and you were away
would be a bad thing though, it would then run forever until you got
back, and under no load which might not be ideal.

> There has been a little oil seepage around the base of the compressor
> for a couple years now. I can't determine for sure where it is coming
> from as it seems uniform around the base of the compressor, just below
> the lower gasket. The oil level is fine, and the oil still looks clean.

   Is there a chance it's actually water leaking out from the drain
valve, but it has some oil residue in it because of the oil carried in
the air of a oil-lubricated compressor?

   The water might not seem oily but evaporate a lot of it leaving the
oil behind and it might make some slime...

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca