RE: Oil change interval for synthetic oil

To: "Shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil change interval for synthetic oil
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:42:28 -0700
> Dave Williams wrote:
> >  The OEMs would prefer your vehicle doesn't fail during its warranty
> > period, which costs them money.  If it lasts much past that point, they
> > view it as a lost sale for a replacement vehicle.

Trevor Boicey replied :

>     Well don't let me ruin a good conspiracy theory, but I don't think
> it's in any car maker's best interest to have the engine fail a week
> after the warranty period ends either.

I've never worked for the "big 3" US car makers, but I have friends that
have.  And if they could save even $.10 per car without raising the warranty
costs at all, they would.

One friend did some contract work for Ford, and he was telling me of being
"beaten up" over being able to save $.003 (yes, 3/10 of a cent) per unit.
They made him redo the entire reliability analysis for that one cheaper
component, and when it came out the same, guess which design they used.
Then they found another component they could save $.001 on ...

Trevor, you always sign your name "P. Eng", which I assume means
"professional engineer".  Who exactly do you engineer for, that doesn't care
about costs ?

Randall Young
Senior Software Engineer
NavCom Technology, Inc.