Re: Oil change interval for synthetic oil

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil change interval for synthetic oil
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:15:20 -0700
> Because they are made out of treated paper and they start to
> disintegrate before they are replaced.  BMW has acknowledged that is a
> problem.
>
> The long term oil change intervals are based on limiting the number of
> trips to the dealer for the first owner, and the expense to the
> manufacturer on cars that include maintenance, ie BMW.  If it lasts till
> the warranty is up they don't worry about it.

Another thing to consider is that some cars hold a lot more oil than
others.

Our Bimmer V8s hold 8qt of oil and the filter element is (guess) 1.5x
the size of a traditional FL1A-or-similar quart-size spin-on filter.

Yes, there's no question that the service intervals are fudged a little
to ensure that the big maintenance items don't occur until outside the
free/prepaid-service window.  The 40K-mile BMW brake rotors come to mind...

John.