Re: [Shop-talk] dry cut metal saw

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dry cut metal saw
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:34:44 -0500
At 07:00 PM 1/9/2008 -0600, john niolon wrote:

>I don't know if this qualifies as a "tip or trick" or more of a tool
>recommendations.
>
>Back a few months ago a member of the Ford site I frequent  told me about a
>dry cut metal saw blade that could replace an abrasive blade in a chop saw.
>They can handle the chop saw speed. They are made by Bullet Industries.  The
>14" model (chop saw size) is about 50 bucks.  I ordered and finally got to
>install tonight.
>
>clamped in a piece of 2x2x<" angle iron and dropped the blade down.. It
>almost fell thru the metal !!!....

John,

Thanks for sharing that.  I just finished putting put 5 new vinyl columns,
stair rails & posts, and hand railing on my front porch.  What fun that
was, having never done a job like that.  (If any one's interested in the
project email me privately, and I'll send you 9 page article I wrote about
the problems and tips.)  One of the things we had to do was cut the new
columns to length.  They consisted of a aluminumn hollow square tube,
surrounded with wood, then covered in vinyl.

I don't own a chop saw, but have thought about buying one for years.  I
didn't use this project as an excuse because I thought the chop saw would
turn way too fast for the vinyl and metal.

Luckily a friend has a porta-band (portable, handheld band saw) that we
used to cut the columns.  For the vinyl railing and AL. reinforcements I
used a manual hack saw.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229