Re: [Shop-talk] good tools, cheap tools

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] good tools, cheap tools
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:10:55 -0700
> there is no way to justify the price of the good tool.  The choice is
> either to own the cheap tool, or not own the tool at all.

Most of the time, for me, a HF purchase is an alternative to:

a) Renting
b) Buying used
c) Not buying at all

I have a Ridgid drill press.  It's one of those products where Home
Depot found a Chinese supplier and stuck the Ridgid name on it.  It may
be better than some it's still not very good.

I'd have happily paid twice as much for something demonstrably better,
but there's no such thing.  I've gotten reasonable use out of it, but
it's hard to get it to do a really good job.  So when it comes to
finding a replacement, I'll be looking for used stuff probably quite old.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll pay more for quality and domestic sourcing
(that isn't to say that all domestically-sourced products are quality),
but when a company moves their manufacturing to BFE it comes down to a
straight price-performance evaluation against the lowest-cost supplier.
  So far as I can tell Milwaukee didn't cut their prices in half when
they moved their manufacturing offshore.

John.