Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:27:39 -0700
>> The high-volume models (or
>> what were the high-volume models until the game shifted over the past
>> year) are all made in the US.
>
> Well now, that's only semi-true.  Yes, there are some Camry's and Corolla's
> made in the US.  Toyota also builds them in Japan, Brazil, Venezuela,
> Canada, Russia, South Africa, Turkey, China, Taiwan, India, Malaysia, and
> Pakistan.

But not for the US market, and the cars that are built in the US are
typically optimized for the US market (that is, bigger and cheaper.)

The US-market Honda Accord exists outside the US only in Australia, to
my knowledge, and the US-market Civic is a special super-wide model once
again not seen much of anywhere else.

>> There's nothing sold in the US and licensed as a normal road vehicle
>> that costs less than $2000 to make.
>
> Problem is, it wasn't Jimmy down there on the docks, babbling away because
> he read it in the National Inquirer. It came up in a meeting with a number
> of the executives of North American operations from several of the car
> companies.  I hope you understand that I'm pretty inclined to believe them
> over you.  They sure were quick with the breakdown of their manufacturing
> and operating costs.

I'm sorry, it just doesn't scan.  $2000 in LABOR in an Aveo or Kia Rio,
maybe.   But not $2000 in total labor, materials, and allocated overhead.

John.