Re: [Shop-talk] Aligning round tubing for mitering?

To: "Obaa" <obaa996@yahoo.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Aligning round tubing for mitering?
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:20:28 -0500
I have seen hole saws as small as 5/8 inch. I actually think I have one.

Food for though. Assemble the 5/8 hole saw with the appropriate pilot bit.
Use the pilot bit to drill a hole an a flat steel plate. Remove the pilot
bit from the hole saw and replace it with a smooth rod of the same size. Now
groove in the plate with the hole saw. Do not go all the way through or
compromise the integrity of the material. The pilot hole needs to be quite
strong.

Now take your tubing, position it on the plate so the hole saw will "do the
right thing". Tack some material to the plate on both sides of the tubing on
both sides of the hole such that the material will positively locate and
hold the tubing relative to the pilot hole. Clamp the jig to the drill press
table, find the cutting oil and have at it.

Arvid