Re: [Shop-talk] blast cabinet media

To: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] blast cabinet media
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:21:07 -0700
Unless you have been using it exclusively to blast lead based paint, I
doubt if there would be any disposal issues; it's mostly glass and rust,
I imagine.  A lot of the people that got in trouble with disposing of
spent media were shipyards, and they were blasting off toxic
anti-fouling paint and lots of other nasty stuff, in very large
quantities.

I have my shop vacuum connected to the dust port of my blasting
cabinet.  It does suck up a little of the media (glass beads, too) but
it keeps things much cleaner and a lot easier to see what I'm blasting.
I'm going straight into the shop vac without a water trap or anything
else to catch the media, so I'll probably eventually kill the shop vac,
but it's a 30 year old Craftsman that my ex gave me for Christmas long,
long ago, so when it dies I'll get a new one and build a wet media
trap.  The type of media you use depends on what it is you're blasting,
but I have found that glass beads are a good choice for general
car/motorcycle/hobby use.  Any media is going to be messy.

Dave C