Re: [Shop-talk] blast cabinet media

To: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] blast cabinet media
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:39:34 -0700 (PDT)
With my cabinet, I have to add new glass beads pretty
regularly to replace what has gotten destroyed
and sucked up by my stop-vac dust collector.
Over a couple of years, I've probably replaced all
the media about twice, but I have never had to
actually remove or dispose of any (except for
emptying the dust collector, of course).

Is your dust collector giving enough airflow through
the cabinet?  If the airflow from the gun were to
exceed the airflow into the dust collector, the
dusty air would get backed up and escape through the
air inlet.

Maybe the beads are OK, and your gun (not just the
tip) has gotten worn?

As for disposal, if you could have thrown away the
parts you blasted, I guess you could also throw away
the used media.

I once added a mix of glass beads and aluminum oxide.
It cut somewhat faster, but not enough to justify the
extra cost.  Also, it is much more abrasive on any
moving parts, like the gun trigger or door parts.

BTW, you can see photos of my cabinet at:
31ford.dougbraun.com

Doug