Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning out fuel tank

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning out fuel tank
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:05:02 -0700
> 1.  Use a flexible hose and some sort of angled air fitting
> that would "pull a suction" or siphon to pull the debris up
> from the sump and exit it from the sump to the outside.
> Essentially a non-electric vacuum

I have one of those "air powered vacuum pumps" (which in reality is just a
venturi), similar to
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96677

Then I took a Mason (canning) jar and soldered two pieces of 1/4" soft
copper tubing to the lid.  Add some tubing, and it makes a small, explosion
proof, vacuum cleaner.  The pump won't handle much volume, but you could
probably use 3/8" line instead of 1/4" if necessary.

Thin wall brass tubing from the hobby store makes a good probe.

Randall