[Shop-talk] Another Hydraulic fluid question

To: 'Shop Talk List' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Another Hydraulic fluid question
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:50:30 -0400
OK, while we're on this topic, I have another question.  I have a
boat that has hydraulic cylinders that raise the outdrive.  A switch
turns on a pump, which supplies the fluid to two cylinders, and they
raise or lower the outdrive.  Simple enough.  The special hydraulic
fluid is 5 or 10 bucks for what looks like a big toothpaste
tube.  Manual says to use their magic juice, or ATF.  So, is their
any reason I want to pay for their special stuff?  This isn't the
first time I've run into this situation.  I've seen similar
recommendations with tractors and other equipment.  Sometimes they
say they prefer some special fluid, but you can use ATF.  I'd always
prefer to use the special stuff if it will prevent problems, but
sometimes I think it is just a way to separate customers from their
money.  Thoughts?

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net