Re: [Shop-talk] Another Hydraulic fluid question

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Another Hydraulic fluid question
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:50:03 +0100
Steven Trovato wrote:
> OK, while we're on this topic, I have another question.  I have a
> boat that has hydraulic cylinders that raise the outdrive.  A switch
> turns on a pump, which supplies the fluid to two cylinders, and they
> raise or lower the outdrive.  Simple enough.  The special hydraulic
> fluid is 5 or 10 bucks for what looks like a big toothpaste
> tube.  Manual says to use their magic juice, or ATF.  So, is their
> any reason I want to pay for their special stuff?  This isn't the
> first time I've run into this situation.  I've seen similar
> recommendations with tractors and other equipment.  Sometimes they
> say they prefer some special fluid, but you can use ATF.  I'd always
> prefer to use the special stuff if it will prevent problems, but
> sometimes I think it is just a way to separate customers from their
> money.  Thoughts?

Steven,

I've always thought that manual writers err on the side of caution. If
they say ATF is OK you can take it as being so. When you think about it
ATF takes an awful lot of punishment in its normal daily life,
intermittently raising and lowering of an outdrive should be well within
its capabilities.

Then again I'm not going to be marooned ten miles from land when the
outdrive won't lower...

Nick Brearley