Re: [Shop-talk] Another Hydraulic fluid question

To: "Steven Trovato" <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Another Hydraulic fluid question
From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:30:20 -0500
*I'm an old ex-tractor dealer and we sold several lines and serviced nearly
all makes of tractors and equipment.  It was maddening and expensive to have
to stock several types of hydraulic fluid and lube oils but we didn't take
many liberties with substitution . . Massey, John Deere, and International
each had a light fluid that served as hydraulic and often, also was the
transmission and final drive lube. . . The additive packs for extreme
pressure, anti-foam, anti rust, etc., differed and there were even
compatibility problems . . *
**
*On the other hand, your lift cylinders get so little use and have such a
minor function and undemanding role to fulfill that one ought to be able to
use any oil that will flow!   Consider, however, the possibility of some
tolerance for moisture or seal compatibility . . Go ahead and get the good
stuff for peace of mind. *