Re: [Shop-talk] Quality Ratchets

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quality Ratchets
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:10:51 -0500
SK stuff is still good.  It's actually made by SK, (I think it's still made
here in Chicago - at least their factory is still there) not some unknown
private-label factory like the place Craftsman stuff is now made.  They
stand behind their warrantee, their chrome is good, and AFAIK they haven't
dropped their roll-stamped size markings like Sears has.  I hate those
laser-engraved sockets, and hope I don't have to trade too many broken
sockets in for those new ones.

Craftsman stuff took a huge nosedive about 10 years ago.  It's not that it's
that much weaker or softer, and the degree of finish may in fact be a bit
better, but the chrome is thinner, their consistency is poor now, and the
socket and box wrench designs are too thick.

And why can you only buy sets of combination wrenches nowadays ?  They seem
to still have some stock of regular open-end wrenches and regular box
wrenches, but not always.  I just never got that enthused about combination
wrenches, though I'm not exactly sure why.

There was a thread here years ago and someone worked at the company that
made Craftsman, Snap-On, and a few other brands.  They don't make Craftsman
any more.

Karl