Re: [Shop-talk] Dangerous tool gloat

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dangerous tool gloat
From: Pat <Pat@HorneSystemsTx.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:01:13 -0500
Framing nailers (all nailers in general) are great! I have a full set
from brad nailers up to framing nailers and wouldn't think about working
without them.

In the 15 years I have been using them I have had one injury and one
safety breach because of me using the framing nailers. I was nailing
blocking into a wall, holding the 2x4 block between two studs with my
hand about 16" away from the gun. I pulled the trigger and my thumb
light up! It was bleeding and I figured that the nail had ricocheted off
the stud and grazed my thumb. Cleaning it up showed a small nick. Not
bad, I mused, but what is this blood on the other side of my thumb??!??
It turns out that the nail went into the stud and followed the grain
back out, launching the nail towards my thumb. The nail (#16) went
though my thumb head and all! I never found the nail, but an X-ray found
that it had totally missed the bone.

The other time I was nailing siding to the studs and was walking down
the stud with the gun, shooting #8 nails every foot. One nail head blew
through the siding. I figured I had wandered off the stud and tried
again, only to have the same thing happen. Turns out that I was nailing
a stud over a door and was now shooting through the door opening. Glad
there was nobody on the other side!

All my guns are set for sequential use. Folks who use their guns daily
generally bounce nail, but I am too safety conscious for that. Even
though I have been using guns for a long time, I would rather take the
extra time to be safer than make another trip to the ER.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake David C.:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001