Re: [Shop-talk] (yet another) air compressor question

To: "Marcus Pless" <mpless@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] (yet another) air compressor question
From: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:04:50 -0400
I had one of the ~30 gallon Craftsman Oil-less compressors for a long
time.  The big plus is that it's cheap (I think we paid $250 on sale).
 Also on the plus side is that it provides enough air to do a decent
bit of work as long as you're not running a sander or something.  It's
also nice that it runs on 110.  On the negative side is that it will
cycle a lot and when it does it's really loud.  Very irritating.
Also, you'll feel like you're running it to death if you try to do
anything that takes a decent bit of air.

If your budget is really $300 then I'd buy the Craftsman.  FWIW, I
bought my 60 gallon IR for ~$600 and it's a whole lot more compressor.
 It doesn't cycle nearly as often and when it does it isn't so loud
that it drives me out of the garage.  If you have 220V access and can
wait to save up a bit more money I'd recommend holding off and getting
the one you're going to want to end up with anyway.

-Paul