Re: [Shop-talk] water heaters and hot water loops?

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] water heaters and hot water loops?
From: Pat Horne <>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:11:38 -0500
Years ago I came up with a slightly different system than the
recirculating loop hot water system.

The Recirculating system needs double the amount of pipe than a normal
hot water system. If the goal is to get hot water sooner, or not waste
the water that goes down the drain while waiting for hot water, put a
small pump and check valve between the hot and cold lines under the sink
you want faster hot water at. The inlet of the pump connects to the hot
water line, the outlet of the pump goes to the inlet of the check valve,
and the outlet of the check valve goes to the cold water line. A timer
and a push button switch can be rigged up to turn the pump on. ( A
thermostat on the hot water line could also be used to turn the pump off
when the hot water gets there also.)

When you are about ready for hot water turn the pump on for however long
it takes to get hot water to that location.  The cold water in the hot
pipe will be drawn from the pipe and put into the cold water line. A bit
of hot water will probably be recycled  also, but not enough to think

Best part about this system is it is easy to add after the building is

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001  Lockhart, TX 78644-4443

Shop-talk mailing list