Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:19:32 -0400
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com> wrote:

>  No.  And I have no idea how to even do that.  In this particular case, all
> I did was rebuild the master; the slave was last year (or so).  And,
> everything works fine.  It just works a tad better when its been pumped.

Bench bleeding is a way  of filling the cylinders with fluid, and not air.
If there's no air in the cylinders, less air gets in the system, and there's
less air to bleed out.

The basic idea is that you hook hoses to outlets of the cylinders, fill the
reservoir, and work the pump.  Many master cylinders (not Girling ones, of
course) come with the needed bits.  You can also make one out of brake bits,
if you've got them around, or buy a kit (dorman, the Help! people, sell one
that fits most stuff for about ten bucks) from your FLAPS.

> Like I said, this is a known problem with Alpine clutches.  An air bubble
> gets trapped at the top of the slave and is a bitch to get out.  I was just
> wondering if power bleeding might push it out better than vacuum or using a
> helper to pump it up.

yes, it will.  But bench bleeding the slave will prevent the problem.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html