Removing Pollution Equipment

To: Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing Pollution Equipment
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 21:28:44 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Folks,
        Let's hope this new list will be beneficial to all members.  Each
and everyone of us has experiences to share.  Learning more about the cars
we love can only increase our enjoyment.
        I'm Adrian Jones from NC (near Raleigh) living with a 1970 and 1975
Midget (also a 1971 project-rapidly-turning-into-parts-car).  The chrome
bumpered one, Binky, is currently getting a fender/wing replaced and the
rubber bumpered one, Doe-Doe, is getting new big end bearings in a feeble
attempt to improve oil pressure.
        Anyhoo, the 1500 makes the 1275 a total road rocket in comparison.
In an attempt to make the 1500 more responsive, last week I removed the air
pump belt and reset the timing from 2ATDC to 12 BTDC.  This did not make
any difference to the acceleration.  What's puzzling is that the sluggard
has an approx 20% increase in engine displacement over Binky.  The mpg is
also abysmal - 20 compared to about 28 for Binky.  The plugs seem to look
OK - no carbon at all.  The drive seems a little more smoother than Binky
but that is a combination of many things, I suppose.
        Incidentally, I'm in total agreement with Trevor, in that people
shouldn't remove anti-pollution equipment just because it's in the way.  In
this case, however, the DPO had removed the catalytic converter and to my
thinking the air pump is, therefore, not doing anything useful.  I wasn't
expecting any real improvement in removing the belt surely advancing the
ignition should have made a difference.         I'm wondering if I'm
missing anything.  Of course, Binky has twin SU's and Doe-Doe has a single
Z-S - is that the problem?

Regards,   Adrian