Re: Removing Pollution Equipment

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Removing Pollution Equipment
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:22:35 -0400
Cc: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>, Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Frank Clarici wrote:
> Les is absolutly correct in what he said.
> I had a 75 Spitfire 1500 (bought new) it was a dog, after 11,000 miles
> the 1500 blew up so I bought a good used 1296cc spitfire engine.
> This was the same bore as the 1500 only with flat top pistons, twin SUs
> and a better distributor advance.
> This lower cc engine made that Spitfire go like it should.

  Hmmm... if your 1500 is a dog I have to state that it
probably has a problem. I have driven a lot of midgets
of both engines, and my 1500 isn't a dog compared to
any of the "stockish" ones.

  The period revues of the car seem to back up my
experience. The 1500 was the first 100mph Midget and
also had a faster 0-60 time than the years before it,
emissions gear and all. Check the Brooklands gold
portfolio for details.

  I urge you to give the 1500 a chance by seeing what
it needs, rather than writing it off for something else
based on a ill-deserved reputation.

  We are a multimarque list here, so it shouldn't
be so bad. Some MG purists will just go to any lengths
to crap on the 1500 simply because it's a Triumph engine. As
far as I am concerned, it's an engine, not a marque, and
as an engine it works just fine.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada