Re: what is this?!?

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: what is this?!?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 00:32:52 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Nory wrote:
> "Spridget" commonly refers to Sprites from Mk II on up and all chrome
> bumper Midgets.

  I really don't agree.

  All logic and philosophy aside, we are discussing what the
term "commonly refers to". It is meaningless that bugeyes
are different and post 71 midgets have no AH counterpart,
people still call them all spridgets that is what "commonly
refers to" means.

  It's pointless to discuss WHY some cars deserve the name
Spridget and some don't, the point is that they are
all commonly referred to as spridgets.

> I think the later Spitfires (also Midgets underneath) should also be
> welcome, although I doubt that they will appear here anyway.

  I wouldn't turn anyone away, but I don't see really why a
spitfire is in any way a midget underneath. In the big
picture of things, sharing an engine is fairly minor.

  So many parts are common to all Spridgets across decades,
some parts across the whole line from fifties to 80s. The cars
really are the same give or take engines and trim. This is why
most people I talk to refer to them as Spridgets, so many parts
are interchangeable and the cars are so very similar it makes
sense to logically consider them all as one car.

  Very little is interchangeable between a Spridget and a Spitfire,
except the engine and perhaps some common LUCAS or Girling parts.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada