Re: Crankshaft nut

Subject: Re: Crankshaft nut
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 07:51:23 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I bought mine at a used tool place for $11.95.  It is a 1/2" drive.
The best way to get the nut off is with an impact wrench if you have
access to one.
I had a trailer around at the time, pushed the Sprite onto it, drove to an
LBC mechanic, backed the trailer and Ryder truck into the yard, jacked up
the engine on top of the trailer, removed the nut, went back home.  All in
110F heat - what a pain...
Had I thought of dropping the pan and chocking the crank in the block, I
might have gotten it off myself with a breaker bar.

Ulix (the socket fits the steering wheel nut too...)

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Daniel Thompson wrote:

> Tyson Sherman wrote:
> >
> > How does one such as I go about removing the nut
> > on the crankshaft pulley on my 73 Midget?  Better
> > yet, where might I get a socket large enough.  I think
> > it's 1- 5/16" but I can't find one anywhere.
> > Thanks,
> > Tyson Sherman
> > http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman
>
> I borrowed a socket and ratchet large enough form a guy who works in the
> steel industry (assembling industrial ducts), so they are available. Had
> to use a lot of heat and a lot of muscle to get the darn thing off.
>
> You might try to borrow from your local mechanic, maybe slip him 10
> bucks.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Daniel Thompson

                                                           '67 Sprite