Re: Crankshaft nut

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft nut
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:24:58 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> How does one such as I go about removing the nut
> on the crankshaft pulley on my 73 Midget?  Better
> yet, where might I get a socket large enough.  I think
> it's 1- 5/16" but I can't find one anywhere.
> Thanks,
> Tyson Sherman
> http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman

Hi Tyson,

Everyone told you where to get the sockets, but few told you how to get
the nut off. If the engine is out, the only way is with a BIG air gun.
If it's in the car still, put the socket on a breaker bar and put it on
the nut. Put the car in 4th gear and push it forward until the breaker
bar is resting against the frame or something else solid. Put your
emergency brake on and take the car out of gear. Spin the starter. Pick
up the nut and breaker bar and socket from under the car. They should
have fell under there when the nut came off, which it will.

* Tom Shirley                                             *
* Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)              *
* 72 Datsun 510 #18 (the race car)     71 MG Midget       *
* Visit the Nickel & Dime Racing website at               *
* http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080        *