Re: PCV valve/breather

To: <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Subject: Re: PCV valve/breather
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 19:14:07 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> I have a question, Does your engine leak at the rear seal position (I
> know it doesn't have one)?

Hi Rick,
Actually, it didn't leak at all when I first got it, but I'm getting some
now (enough to piss me off).  As I understand it (and the way it looks) the
only crankcase venting is by means of the draft tube on the side cover.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know someone will!) - there is a slight
vacuum effect across the exit of the tube while driving, and this draws
crankcase vent air through the system.  The carb fitting is to filter inlet
air.  It's not like a modern system where there is any recirculation of
exhaust gas or crankcase vent air.  As far as the vent tube goes, I had a
problem a month or so ago with lots of venting, but I got it sorted out and
see maybe a drop or two after getting the engine good and warm.  I think as
long as you have an inlet tube into the rocker cover you should be ok,
although filtration can't hurt.