Re: Installing the Engine and Tranny

To: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Installing the Engine and Tranny
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:20:32 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Chuck Ciaffone wrote:

> Hey Y'all,
>
> I'm darn close to putting the engine and Datsun tranny
> back in the '72, and I'm a little concerned about
> how to handle the drive shaft. I'm pretty sure that I
> can't fit it to the tranny after the engine and tranny
> are in place 'cause the tunnel is so small. So my choices
> seem to be:
>
> 1. Fit the splines to the tranny BEFORE installing the whole
>    shebang and then very CAREFULLY guide the shaft into the
>    tunnel while lowering the engine into the bay.
>
> B. Slide the drive shaft into the tunnel, lower the engine and
>    tranny, and kinda slide the splines into the tranny from behind
>    as I lower the engine.

Chuck,
go with option (iii) !
Put engine and trans in there and worry about the drive shaft last.  Just
push it in there from the rear and it is not too hard to get it on (oh
god, what am I writing here).  You can lock the fron Ujoint somehow to
keep it straight, or don't and take the challenge.
This worked for me with no problem and it's the recommended procedure in
the instructions.

                                                           '67 Sprite