Installing the Engine and Tranny

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Installing the Engine and Tranny
From: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:51:03 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hey Y'all,

I'm darn close to putting the engine and Datsun tranny
back in the '72, and I'm a little concerned about
how to handle the drive shaft. I'm pretty sure that I
can't fit it to the tranny after the engine and tranny
are in place 'cause the tunnel is so small. So my choices
seem to be:

1. Fit the splines to the tranny BEFORE installing the whole
   shebang and then very CAREFULLY guide the shaft into the
   tunnel while lowering the engine into the bay.

B. Slide the drive shaft into the tunnel, lower the engine and
   tranny, and kinda slide the splines into the tranny from behind
   as I lower the engine.

Maybe there isn't such a big difference between 1 and B, but
(seems to me) there's a lot less chance for disaster using B
because the drive shaft is already as down as it's gonna get,
where with 1 the shaft might slip out and hit the floor or the
MG as I lower the engine.

Your thoughts on the matter, please?

Thanks, as always,

chuck