Re: K&N filters, stock cannisters

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: K&N filters, stock cannisters
From: Rich.A.Wagner@mcdermott.com
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:39:00 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I installed K&N filter elements (I don't remember the stock number but they
were
equivalent to the stock elements) in the stock canister on my 74 midget.  I
wondered if the snorkels were restricting the air flow so I used the back
plate
of the original canisters and fabricated new top plates out of 1/8" aluminum.

The original back plates are dished so there is more clearance around the
carbs.
 Stub stacks fit inside using 5/16" all-thread.  I have not noticed any bad
flat
spots during acceleration but still need to change the carb needles to
prevent
going too lean.  Can anyone recommend an appropriate spring loaded needle?
One
advantage of keeping the original canister with snorkels is that the unisyn
can
be used directly on the snorkel to balance the carbs.

Rich Wagner
74 midget