Re: Pilot Bushing

To: Larry and Sandi Miller <millerls@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Pilot Bushing
From: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 08:03:19 -0800
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry and Sandi Miller wrote:

> Any advice on removing the crankshaft pilot bushing without a bushing
> puller?
>
> Larry Miller (millerls@msn.com)
----
The old standard method I always read about is to pack the cavity full
of grease and use a close-fitting rod as a ram. As the rod is driven
into the hole the grease will displace the bushing. Takes a *big*
hammer, I suspect, and a heck of a blow to break it loose. I've never
tried it.

I've had very good luck finding a tap the right size to thread the
bushing. When the tap hits bottom it will begin to pull the bushing. I
now have three different bushing pullers but still use this method
occasionally, when the cavity behind the bushing does not allow the tips
of the puller fingers in behind the bushing. It works best if you have a
bearing ball the right size to put in first. It is sometimes necessary
to drill the hole to an appropriate tap size. Full thread depth is not
required.

Joe
--
==brake cylinders sleeved with brass==