RE: Silicon switch-over

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Silicon switch-over
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:26:09 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
James -

If you want to avoid a bit of good-natured teasing, remember that the
long-chain polymer used as a plastic, a lubricant and in breast
augmentation is silicone (note the "e").  Silicon is sand. <grin>

Now to the advice.  Your best bet is to do a complete rebuild (Master and
Slave cylinders, and replace the rubber lines).  The silicone fluid will
cause your seals to swell less, and they will leak if they've been "bedded
in" with other brake fluids.

It makes the whole process a bit easier if you pump out all the brake fluid
(bleed it dry) and flush the system with denatured alcohol a couple of
times (just like you were bleeding the brakes).  You'd be amazed at the
amount of creeping glop that will come out.  Then rebuild the dual master
cylinder, the clutch slave, and all the wheel cylinders.  Replace the
rubber lines.  Refill with silicone brake fluid (be prepared to shell out
some significant $$$ for the fluid itself).

I did mine a couple of years ago and haven't had a spot of difficulty
since.