Re: Silicon switch-over DON'T DO IT!!!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Silicon switch-over DON'T DO IT!!!
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:29:52 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
STOP STOP STOP! DON'T USE THE SILICONE FLUID UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THIS!

I rebuilt my '69 Midget practically from the ground up (mechanically that
is...the body is still a little rough)

I put in a new M/C, new calipers, new rotors, new wheel cylinders, new
drums, stainless braided flex lines.  I had read all the hype about
silicone fluid...doesn't absorb water, very hi temp properties, won't mess
up paint.  I thought it was the perfect solution, so I used it.

Well, it turns out that regular (dot 3 or 4 glycol) brake fluid works with
the natural rubber seals in our LBC brakes, makes them swell just the right
amount, and keeps them sealed.  Silicone does not.

My silicone brake fluid leaked out of my calipers, not under braking
load...it just dripped out slowly when the car sat!  Of course it soaked my
pads with silicone (very slippery stuff).  When I tried to flush out the
system and put dot 4 fluid back in, it didn't work because all of the seals
were well coated with silicone (very tenacious stuff as well).  I wound up
rebuilding the calipers myself, and replacing the pads.  I put in dot 4
fluid and it works great.  I won't use the stuff again until I get a good
explanation why I should.

I asked Norman Nock and his son about it...they both told me never to use
it.  I wish I had asked before I used it!

ctp