Re: GASKET SET WARNING

To: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: GASKET SET WARNING
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 08:29:44 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Trevor:

The car is a 1275 cc (just checked the cylinder diameter during my recent
re-bore).  It came right out of a donor Midget, so the engine IS a 1275 cc
that fits a Spridget and not a related British vehicle.

The package says C/Set BL 1.3 Marina >1980, CSL 460 SIMILAR TO EF460, so
that would be a clue to the real application, right?  It's not a one-time
Moss mistake, because the Moss part number label of 296-680 also quotes the
EF460.  So what we have here is a systematic packaging error.

What's different is that the Marina must have a timing cover with a 2 inch
excrescence on the side running about 4 inches long.  It must also have a
pan that is about 1 inch longer at the back of the engine, so the pan
gaskets don't follow the pan at that end, leaving about a quarter to a half
inch uncovered section of pan flange, even though all (or nearly all) the
bolt holes line up.  The Marina pan must also have a different indent for
the back-end seal, since the rubber Marina seal does not fit the Spridget
pan properly.

WELL, I HAVE CUT MY OWN GASKETS NOW, AND KLUGE'D UP A PAN SEAL, BUT I DO
HAVE ONE QUESTION WHICH WOULD RELIEVE SOME ANXIETY.  CAN ONE PULL THE PAN
WHEN THE ENGINE IS INSTALLED (IN CASE IT LEAKS)?  ANY OTHER PAN-SEALING
TRICKS AVAILABLE?

Daryl