Re: AN9 vs. AN10

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: AN9 vs. AN10
From: Rick Doig <rickbo@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 22:58:45 -0600
Cc: Trummel <trummel@caa.army.mil>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Frank Clarici wrote:

> Trummel wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Can anyone explain to me, in a short sound bite that even I
> > can understand, what's the diff between an AN9 and an AN10?
> >
> > I'm making a chart/table on Sprite production, and I don't
> > have a lot of books that address this.  It seems like they
> > are both square-bodied convertibles with 1275 cc engines --
> > so why did they change the series number from 9 to 10?
> >
> > TIA.  Befuddled in Bethesda.  Reid
>
>  Reid
>
> the AN10 which was an AA10 and not HAN10 was the first Sprite (only Sprite)
>to not
> have the Healey name associated with it. It was truly an Austin Sprite.
> the last H series (Healey Sprite) was in 1969 the AA10 Austin Sprite was 1970
>and
> maybe a few 71s, non made it to the US via legal import channels.
>
> --
> Frank Clarici
> Too many Sprites
> http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

Quoting Horler's book "Original Sprite and Midget" on page 116 it lists
HAN10-85287 as the first HAN10 "facelifted" car, dated Sept.'69.
Then it lists AAN10-86803 as the first of the "Austin Sprites", dated
Jan '71.  Finally it lists AAN10-87824 as the last Austin Sprite, dated
Jul '71.  This book also says that Sprite exports to other countries,
including the U.S. stopped in 1969, and on page 111 a list shows that no
HAN10 or AAN10 Sprites were exported to the U.S.
                                                Cheers,
                                                Rick Doig