Re: crossflow or downflow??

To: Phil Profili <pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: crossflow or downflow??
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:13:33 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phil,
bought my car in Tucson, AZ.  The hottest it got was in traffic jams on
the interstate.  It wouldn't really get all that hot on the gauge, maybe
200 deg (on calibrated gauge), but it would run a little rough and you
could FEEL it was getting warm.  Usually turned on the heater and fan to
cool it off.  I have since installed the 6-blade plastic fan instead of
the 4-blade metal one and think it helped quite a bit, but then again I
live in Seattle now.
I think the crossflow would be needed if you souped up the engine with
higher compression, etc.

Ulix

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Phil Profili wrote:

> As the subject has, kind of, come up...
>
> Does anyone have any experience of the downflow radiator being insufficient
> in hotter climates?  I ask as I am in the middle of a rebuild and was
>wondering
> whether it would be worth my while upgrading to the crossflow 'while I'm at
>it'
> (could get expensive these 'while I'm at it' fixes!).

>  |.___/    ""-.____/ |      /| Email: pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com   |
> <||  Phil Profili  __|-----<-| Phone: (770) 494 1287                 |
>  |`,...____...---"'         \| 'scuse me while I fix my tie          |

                                                           '67 Sprite