Re: crossflow or downflow??

To: Phil Profili <pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: crossflow or downflow??
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 18:56:27 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phil Profili wrote:

> As the subject has, kind of, come up...
>
> Does anyone have any experience of the downflow radiator being insufficient
> in hotter climates?  I ask as I am in the middle of a rebuild and was
>wondering
> whether it would be worth my while upgrading to the crossflow 'while I'm at
>it'

I personally prefer the down flow radiators. I replace the later cross
flows with down flows, they are much easier to pull out, you can drain
them, and they take 1 less hose. (my opinion)
I run a 160 degree t'stat in all Sprites and never had an overheat problem
with the down flow.
It gets to be 100 some times around here in the summer and the cars will
creep up to about 200 in stop and go traffic. They cool off to 180 as soon
as I get back into 4th gear.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
--
Frank Clarici