Re: AAAH! now what happened?

To: Amy Soich <casoich@sgi.net>
Subject: Re: AAAH! now what happened?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 21:51:24 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Amy Soich wrote:

> Okay so, the car was turning, but not starting. Theory, sat 15 years, engine
> wasn't turning fast enough to start. Pulled the plugs out dropped some light
> weight oil in there; tried to crank it a bit to work it all loose in there.
> Turned once, wouldn't turn again. The second time it sounded as if the starter
> was turning, just not engaging with the engine. Third try, bad noise. Bad bad
> noise. Fourth try, now with plugs back in, a click nothing more. Did my
> starter go? Solenoid maybe? There's something that is making the noise and
> keeps poking a part out of it everytime i turn the key. It's small, roundish,
> black and mounted between the heater box and the heater fan. I can't find this
> thing in my books anywhere; is this the solenoid? Whatever it is, why is it
> mockingly sticking it's tongue out at me and making a belching noise? Whatever
> this thing is, it's pissing me off ;}
>
>  Anyone?
>
> As always..thanks,
>
> Amy
> 67 Sprite MkIV

Amy

A few things could be wrong.....
1) is the battery fully charged? (simple)
2) the starter could be jammed (probable)
        put car in 4th, hand brake off, try to rock car to un-jam the
        starter. (you will hear it "pop" out.)
        If this does not work, there is a square nub sticking out of the
back of
the starter, try turning the nub with pliers.
3) Solenoid could be shot. cheap, quick way out is to install a Ford
solenoid, it fits and works.(I'm not saying this) Try arcing    across the 2
large terminals with a heavy screw driver, if the       starter turns, check
wires, if it clicks, check wires, if    nothing, replace it.
4) make sure the ground is good and tight, also check the engine to chassis
ground strap under the car near the slave cylinder.

Good luck

--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98