Re: Distributor Points

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor Points
From: Stan Fickes <fickes@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:59:27 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Yep, I remove the distributor to change and adjust the points.  I find that
with my fat little fingers and my tendency to drop small screws, I'm a lot
better off that way.  I use a scope and a dwell meter, but would like to be
able to compare the lobes, like in a waterfall display on a Sun analyzer.
The other advantage of a bench analyzer is you can observe point float, and
test modifications without running the motor at high revs.  Not that I have
any problem with points floating!

I am also considering a breakerless system, but would like more info.
Anybody have any long term experience?  I have had less than satisfactory
experience with the TFI system in two different Fords, but that's another
animal entirely.  I want something that will last forever, and never
require maintenance.  (What's wrong with dreaming?)  I would rather have
something that requires occasional maintenance in my warm dry garage than
something that leaves me stranded in the rain every five years...

Cheers!  sf

At 10:08 PM 2/20/98 -0500, Les Myer wrote:
>Stan, are you saying you remove the distributor to install points?  I leave
>it in and use a feeler guage.  If the dwell ends up too high, I open up the
>gap a little bit - or if it is too low, I close the gap a little.  This
>only requires removing the cap.  If you really want to know the dwell on
>each lobe, or difference bewtween lobes, an oscilloscope will show that.
Stan Fickes        Nothing is more rewarding than to watch
Software Engineer  someone who says it can't be done get
I-Cube, Inc.       interrupted by someone actually doing it.