Re: trans oil

To: Vllas <Vllas@aol.com>
Subject: Re: trans oil
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:00:03 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Don't forget that motor oil (the 30W option) and gear oil (the 90w option)
are measured on different viscosity scales, I have no idea why.  90W gear
oil is about the same viscosity as 30W motor oil.  And hypoid gear oil, as
for differentials, is different again, with special additives to allow the
hypoid gears to live.  You don't use differential gear oil (hypoid) in a
transmission, as the gears aren't hypoid cut.

I personally use fully synthetic 90W transmission gear oil, and found it to
be very nice, could actually notice a difference in shifting and synchromesh
action.

Brian