Re: trans oil

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: trans oil
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:13:06 -0500
Cc: Vllas <Vllas@aol.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Brian Evans wrote:

> Don't forget that motor oil (the 30W option) and gear oil (the 90w option)
> are measured on different viscosity scales, I have no idea why.

  It's "at simulated operating temperature". The viscosity index is
actually the same but motor oil is tested at "some hot temperature
simulating an engine" and the tranny oil is tested at "some less hot
temperature simulating a tranny". (very technical description!)

  This makes gear oil numbers higher, because they are thicker because
of the low testing temperature.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada