King Pins

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: King Pins
From: chasdoug@gte.net
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 21:58:10 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I found a shop that could actually do the front end alignment on my
bugeye (damn these cars are small, and thanks Ulix!).

They warned me that my king pins are worn.  He demonstrated perhaps 1/8
inch movement of the top and bottom of the wheel with hands placed
vertically, both sides.

I don't know much about suspension (my wife would say I don't know much
about anything, but we didn't ask her), so what does this mean?  Am I
playing with fire, about to crash and burn in a horrible accident at
25mph, unsafe at any speed?  Or is the front suspension just a little
sloppy, and going to get a little more sloppy for the next 20 or 30
thousand miles?

Mini Mania has stub axle assemblies with the king pin bushes reamed in
(did I get all that right?) on sale this month.  Is it time to get out
my checkbook?

Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA