Re: King Pins

To: chasdoug@gte.net
Subject: Re: King Pins
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:38:26 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

chasdoug@gte.net wrote:

> I found a shop that could actually do the front end alignment on my
> bugeye (damn these cars are small, and thanks Ulix!).
>
> They warned me that my king pins are worn.  He demonstrated perhaps 1/8
> inch movement of the top and bottom of the wheel with hands placed
> vertically, both sides.
>
> I don't know much about suspension (my wife would say I don't know much
> about anything, but we didn't ask her), so what does this mean?  Am I
> playing with fire, about to crash and burn in a horrible accident at
> 25mph, unsafe at any speed?  Or is the front suspension just a little
> sloppy, and going to get a little more sloppy for the next 20 or 30
> thousand miles?
>
> Mini Mania has stub axle assemblies with the king pin bushes reamed in
> (did I get all that right?) on sale this month.  Is it time to get out
> my checkbook?
>
> Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA

  Chas

before you jump into a king pin job, just chect the upper trunnion bushings.
The vertical play you refered to is usually cause by worn trunnion bushings, the
rubber ons that only cost about $2 each (total of 4per car) But if they are worn
your A arm bushings are probably worn too, another 8 bushings per car.
When you replace the bushings check the king pins and A arms, if they are worn
do not hesitate to repair it.

With swivel axle off the pins, you can check for side movement of the pin>A
arms. There should be a small amount of movement, you can tell by this simple
test if they are shot or not.
If they are original, it is probably time.

good luck
Frank