Re: King Pins

To: chasdoug@gte.net
Subject: Re: King Pins
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998 chasdoug@gte.net wrote:

> Mini Mania has stub axle assemblies with the king pin bushes reamed in
> (did I get all that right?) on sale this month.  Is it time to get out
> my checkbook?

Chas,
Your car is extremely unsafe and needs to be gotton rid of
immediately!  I would volunteer to dispose of it safely :-)

Seriously:
I would recommend to indeed rebuild the front end, even if it just to
heighten your enjoyment of the car.  You will get better straight
line stability, no more clunks, and a all around more intense feeling of
being connected to the car.
Also, I think you probably come out cheaper if you have the parts redone
locally.  Ask Dave Fox on this list, he is currently having his parts
redone by Brooklands in Tacoma.
Doing the final assembly of the kingpin assembly yourself is very
instructional and satisfying as well.

Depending on your driving style you might also elect to go with PU
bushings and stiffer springs :-)
What shape are your shocks in?  :-)

Checkbook time indeed...

Off the record:  If you like the way the car feels right now and you
don't want to spend any money, keep it the way it is.
But don't take my car for a spin, you might enjoy it...

                                                           '67 Sprite