Re: 5 Spd Conversion???

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, Jaral48462@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5 Spd Conversion???
From: pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com (Phil Profili)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:08:56 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This scared me the other day - I received my gearbox Thursday and remembered
that I'd saved this post but couldn't remember which gearboxes were the wrong
ones.  I checked the serial number - it starts with F S, then looked at the
post Friday morning.  Of course I wasn't happy!

Anyway, I talked to Bill Perry - he says FS means nothing to him - the important
thing is that the drain plug screws in vertically, and not horizontally into
the back of the box as Ron stated (Bill thinks the problematic ones are those
with a serial number starting with 6).

When I checked the box again, Friday evening it does indeed have a vertical
drain plug.

Scare over.

Phil

> In a message dated 98-03-19 12:01:04 EST, Jaral48462@aol.com wrote:

[snip]

> Have been trying to get in touch with him for several days now.  Apparently
> his fax and phone are the same no.  Everytime we called the fax machine was on
> and couldn't get through.  Did catch up with him today and we discussed the
> two transmissions.  He says the one with the horizontal drain plug won't work.
> There are some interferences to the adaptor bracket and the drain plug will
> interfere with a crossmember.  Also you can't get the drain plug out if you
> need to drain the fluid.  The correct one to use for the conversion is with
> the vertical drain plug.  It should have an "F" or "FA" stamped in the bell
> housing at the top surface just behind the mounting face.  The one with the
> horizontal drain plug is a Datsu 210  5 Spd. transmission but for Canadian
> cars and is has a different case.  It would have an "FS" stamped in it.

[snip]

 |.___/    ""-.____/ |      /| Email: pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com   |
<||  Phil Profili  __|-----<-| Phone: (770) 494 1287                 |
 |`,...____...---"'         \| 'scuse me while I fix my tie          |