Wiring

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wiring
From: "Noel, William M" <noel@BATTELLE.ORG>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:23:24 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I am new and to Spridgets.  I am trying to get a '72 Midget into driving
shape.  I am currently replacing the wiring harness.  I currently have two
seemingly insoluble problems, for me, I would appreciate advice on.

First problem:

The rear wiring harness that goes along the passenger side of the car into
the boot appears to lack one connecting wire.  There is a red wire that
connects to the license plate light, however, it appears that there should
be another red wire that should be connected through a bullet connector
extending to the driver's side of the car to connect to the side market and
tail light.  If I jumper a wire from the license plate light everything
appears to work.  Any help or suggestions?

Second problem:

My car does not have the standard two horns but has a single horn mounted on
a bracket attached to the radiator frame on the passenger side of the car.
The wiring harness that I installed provides four wires for connecting to
the horn at that point, two purple and two purple with black tracers.
According to the wiring diagram, the black tracer wires ground through the
horn push, which they do as I checked continuity and one of the purple wires
is hot going back to the fuse block, which it is.  Well, the problem is that
when I place the hot hire on the horn connection the horn blows.  The reason
is that the horn is grounding through the bracket.  Since the wiring harness
I replaced was badly damaged through fire, I was thinking that the original
horns may have some sort of isolation mounting devices.  At some point the
horns did not work and someone replaced the two horns with the single horn
thinking that the horns were damaged and needed new horns.  When the horns
were replaced they didn't properly isolate the replacement, but since the
problem was actually in the wiring the horn still didn't work and so they
just forgot about the problem and didn't use he horn.  My question is there
some sort of isolation?  Or, what do I need to do?

Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.  The weather is turning
nice here and I am itching to get this thing on the road.
Bill Noel
noel@battelle.org
phone (614)424-4917
fax (614)424-3152