Re: Rubber

To: "Dave, ...... just Dave" <dfox@blarg.net>
Subject: Re: Rubber
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 20:05:58 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Dave, ...... just Dave wrote:

> Hey !
>  I'm about to fork out a few bucks for some new window and body seals and I
> remembered the days when I played with VW's and how important it was to
> make sure
> you purchased German (OEM) rubber products which had a 30 year life rather
> than Brazilian (OEM)
> rubber that would last 3 years at best.(pretty much true of the mechanical
> parts as well) It was easy to tell though because the good stuff was,
> naturally, twice as expensive.
>  Is the rubber, sold thru Moss, VB and the like, of decent quality ? Are
> there alternatives ?
> Am I freaking out over a VW only phenomenon ?
>
> thanks,
> Dave Fox
> '67 Midget

  Dave

I replaced most of the replaced rubbers already (2 years old) My 40 year old
stuff is better then the chinese 2 year stuff now.
I don't know what they use for rubber in Asia but it evaporates in a few months,
less if the car sees daylight.
Get it from England if you can, specify made in the UK!!!
Besides lasting longer it also fits very nice in the first place like it was
made for the car!
What a concept!

For all those stupid little gaskets under wiper bezels, mirrors, and any other
flat gasket,
buy an inner tube and cut it up. It lasts for years.

Good luck
Frank